Saturday, June 16, 2012

Being Crafty!

One of my resolutions this year was to be more creative, to actively work at creating things that could be both beautiful and functional. I've been knitting (slowly) and perusing DIY blogs (daily) and decided to take inspiration from a friend and create a jewelry display stand.

Materials: bamboo silverware divider; patterned paper from Paper Source; ruled cutting mat; adhesive spray; power drill; drill bits; hook and cup screws; eyelet screws.

I started this project shortly after New Years. Technically, I had begun it before by purchasing the silverware divider, but had done absolutely nothing with it. So we're going to mark that as "prep time" and not count it.

I started out by selecting the paper, what turned out to be the hardest part. You see, my original idea had been to use vintage porcelain furniture knobs to hang the necklaces off of, but I realized that not only were they super bulky, but it would be near impossible to find a pattern that didn't clash horribly with at least one of them. So while I still have those things, I'll use them for something else. Possibly furniture? Anyhow, paper selected!

I wanted something pretty and feminine, but not so loud that the jewelry would clash against it. This seemed to fit the bill! Next came the measuring and cutting, a rather nerve-wracking process. The paper wasn't hugely expensive, but it wasn't cheap, and it was important to me that the pattern of the pieces retain the pattern of the paper. Ergo, no screw-ups allowed! To aid with the process, I did the first cuts on cheap white paper, adjusted the measurements accordingly (its really hard to accurately measure the INSIDE of a box), then traced those pieces onto the nice paper, and cut from there.


I finally had the pieces, and was ready to attach them. Some sites I'd read discussing similar projects suggested using glue sticks. I HATE glue sticks. I really do. I'll admit they're useful for some things, but to me they're annoying, create bubbles, stick weirdly, and are always dried out when you need them most. So I used adhesive spray that I'd bought for another project, but seemed appropriate for this one. As directed, I applied it outside, and let it dry for several hours before bringing it inside. I didn't do a perfect job, but good enough for government work!

Then came another long break. I was in the middle of finals, I was super stressed out, and I just did not have time to sit down and power drill the hell out of this thing. And so the project languished. Until today! Well, I tried to start it back up on Thursday, but then realized I'd neglected to charge the power drill, and so had to wait. Anyhow! Got out my brand-new power drill, a Christmas gift from Mom&Dad, as well as my lovely drill bit set.

I'd already marked where I was supposed to drill, so it was just a matter of creating the holes for the hook & cup and eyelet screws to fit into.

Despite some interruptions from nosy felines-

I eventually managed to get the holes drilled and the screws screwed. Heh.

After that, it was just a matter of selecting the jewelry to be displayed, and placing the container appropriately! Ta Da!!!


Now my necklaces are no longer hidden within a box, I know what earrings I own, and my dresser has become a bastion of delicate femininity. Well. Delicate femininity created with the use of a cordless power drill. The best kind!

Next project: earring display made out of a picture frame. Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment